"A true journey of discovery lies not in seeking new shores but in finding new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Space Camp - DAY ONE!


Yesterday I arrived in steamy Huntsville, Alabama to reunited with all my fellow TOYs. The highlight was receiving my official flight suit. It is traditional to wear your wings upside down until graduation! It was a great reunion and this morning we traveled by bus to Space Camp. I am on team Kibo! We spent most of the day in teambuilding activities and we were treated to our first guest speaker, astronaut "Hoot" Gibson. In the evening we donned our state costumes and participated in the Opening Ceremony and parade of states. Thanks to Ocean Spray, I was dolled up in a pair of waders typically used by the cranberry growers in Cape Cod. I have a new respect for those people after experiencing the weight and heat they generated. Our dinner celebration in the Galaxy Room gave this "yankee" the opportunity to taste such southern delicacies as hush puppies and collard greens. Later we gathered back at our dorms to exchange gifts with each other. Each TOY brought pins and gifts representing their state for each other. Fellow TOYS enjoyed my Craisins and Cranberry juice that Ocean Spray was kind enough to supply for me. It was great fun! One highlight was the salmon smoked in teriyaki by my friend Jackie Johnson from Alaska. Not only did she and her husband smoke it, but they caught it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment