"A true journey of discovery lies not in seeking new shores but in finding new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust

Thursday, July 1, 2010

ISTE 2010

So many things in life have their origins in serendipity. Last fall when my friends at DYMO/Mimio learned that I had been named the MA TOY they asked me whether I would join their teacher team at ISTE 2010 in Colorado. Of course I said yes and this week I headed out west with my good friend Cheryl. What a whirlwind in Denver! I met teachers from all across America and abroad and each had one thing in common - a thirst to bring their students into the 21st century. So many teachers shared their stories of making do with shower boards from Home Depot in lieu of whiteboards, endless grant writing over the summer in hopes of snagging a paltry amount of money to obtain a projector or begging local businesses to donate old laptops for classroom use. Teachers are not proud, they WILL go the extra mile to obtain what they know will increase learning for their students. On the other side I also met administrators waving their checkbooks with cries of, "I have money to spend." I couldn't help but wonder why this couldn't be the case for all states and school districts. The air at ISTE was charged with possibilities. Vendors offered a myriad of tools to increase learning in our schools; it was impossible not to be swept along in the wake of potential for our students. Alas, much will have to change to make this a reality. Schools will have to prioritize technology and the training teachers need to be successful. In the meantime, those of us that are comfortable can commit to easing our colleagues into the fold by partnering with them for just one project - just imagine the possibilities... 
Thank you to all my friends at Mimio for giving me this unique opportunity! To answer your question... If teaching was more engaging for our students, more affordable for our budgets and easier for teachers we could prepare students to be college and career ready at the pace necessary to create digital citizens of the 21st century!  Thank you for all the hard work and dedication you have given to make this a reality.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining us at ISTE. Great blog! http://www.facebook.com/DYMO.Mimio

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jae! Wonderful blog! I had such a great time with you and Cheryl! Let's keep in touch this year!
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete