"A true journey of discovery lies not in seeking new shores but in finding new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Courage to Teach: A Little Introspection is good for the soul!

"We cannot hope to reform education, if we fail to cherish and challenge the human heart that is the source of good teaching." Parker Palmer 

Most of you already know that I came to be Teacher of the Year by way of a letter of recommendation written by my fine student teacher, Joe Feintuck. Joe and I have many parallels; we live in the same town, he changed careers later in life, he went to graduate school with a spouse and two young children and like me Joe was part of a cohort from Lesley University.  The University gave me a voucher for a three credit course as a thank you for being Joe's cooperating practitioner, although having Joe was gift enough.  The voucher sat around until this summer when I decided to participate in the Lesley Institute: Courage to Teach based on Parker Palmer's books Courage to Teach and A Hidden Wholeness.  It feels as though this is a good time to take stock of myself and my career and I have spent this past week doing just that.  I agree with Palmer, "When I do not know myself, I cannot know who my students are. When I do not know myself, I cannot know my subject – not at the deepest levels of embodied, personal meaning."
Yes Jae, a little introspection is good for the soul.

This week I have searched my soul examining everything from the gifts I bring to teaching to the challenges that get in the way.  I have entered the learning through art, music and movement and I am increasingly more "mindful" of my thinking, behaviors, and even my eating.  This week has gifted me with a sense of renewal.  Thank you to Dr. Sharlene Cochrane and my fellow retreat members who gently prodded me along, opening my heart with their open and honest questions.  I will always be grateful...

No comments:

Post a Comment