"A true journey of discovery lies not in seeking new shores but in finding new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dallas -- Day 5


Today I realized full tilt what it means to be the Massachusetts Teacher of the Year. This morning we were honored to be addressed by Rick Melmer, the Dean of the School of Education at the University of South Dakota. At the conclusion of his speech he was moved to tears by our group and the passions we have for our students and the future face of education. Now I haven't seen many grown men cry in my lifetime, especially in my professional life so it really affected me. I know that I am certainly not by any means the "best" teacher in Massachusetts but I have been given a torch and a platform to be sure that the voices of my students, their parents and my colleagues can be heard. I am reminded yet again that I can be an inspiration to my colleagues to stand up and make their voices heard as well. Yes, Doug, we all have our stories and our passions and if we are truly to change the future of education we must be courageous enough to spread the word. When the faces and stories of our students are attached to legislative issues and policies they will become real and powerful. Who can do this better than teachers?

The week has gone fast and we have worked long and hard. Tonight it was time to celebrate together. We have become friends and we have learned that there is much we have in common and much that is different but we are all invested in our jobs and more importantly our students. Tony Mullen NTOY'09 spoke to us tonight. He also urged us to share the stories of our students. Hearing him speak about the students who have touched his life makes me proud to be a teacher. With each story he told us this week I have found myself standing a little taller. Thank you Tony, Kimberly, Mary Beth and Mike; yours are big shoes to fill. There is much to do but this evening as I go to sleep I know that I am ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment