"A true journey of discovery lies not in seeking new shores but in finding new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Dallas -- Day 2


(from left to right: Donna (OR), Me(MA), Jackie(AK), Vandy(AR), and Megan(FL)
WOW! Today was jam packed with learning but I am "wicked Smahter" after a day long SMART board training. I even won a prize in SMART board Jeopardy! The best part of the day was preparing lessons with my new fourth and fifth grade TOYs, Jackie from Alaska, Megan from Florida, Vandy from Arkansas, and Donna from Oregon. (Pronounced "Oregin" as Donna corrected me!) We had so much fun! I learned that Jackie has 34 students in her class with ONE teacher!
Tonight our state coordinators arrived - Imagine I had to come all the way to Texas to see Deb Walker, my coordinator from Massachusetts. We all had a delicious dinner and were inspired by three former national teachers of the year: Mary Beth Blegen '1996, Kimberly Oliver Burnim '2006, and Mike Geisen '2008. They challenged us to think about who we are as teachers and as learners and what we will do as leaders as we go forward on this journey!
Tonight I am reflecting on all the wonderful students who have taught me so many things about what it really means to be a teacher. They have truly made me understand the responsibility that comes with my job and what can happen when we care about the children we are entrusted with each day. I thank each and every one of you. You have taught and continue to teach me what no college preparatory program could have taught me - powerful things can happen when we come together as a community of learners. This week I have seen this firsthand. As I go forward as the 2010 MA TOY, first and foremost in my mind will be what is good for our students. As the teacher of the year my audience may be larger than yours but I would like to challenge each and every one of you to ask yourself the very same question. How can you go forward as a leader in your classroom, in your school or in your district? We are the experts! We have a voice! Each of us has an opportunity to make a difference!

No comments:

Post a Comment