"A true journey of discovery lies not in seeking new shores but in finding new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust

Monday, November 16, 2009

So you want to know what teaching is really like?

Today I was delighted to have the opportunity to speak with the students in Gary Oakes' introduction to teaching course at Simmons College. These first and second year education students were so eager to learn how it is in "the real world." They wondered what my earliest struggles were (maintaining any kind of balance in my life) and what the struggles are eleven years later (so much to teach, so little time.) Their questions brought introspection and have had me reflecting on my career all evening. The future of our profession lies in these young people. I hope that they will enter teaching in a few years supported by strong mentors and nurturing administrators who help them achieve and grow into the teacher leaders of the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment