"A true journey of discovery lies not in seeking new shores but in finding new eyes." ~ Marcel Proust

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Washington DC - Page 4

Today we had some free time so my daughter Jillian and I went to the Holocaust Museum and the Museum of American History.  What a contrast..  In the Holocaust Museum it was silent as we moved along with others remembering such a somber time in history.  I was particularly struck by the room filled with shoes Jews removed when they entered the camps or the striped uniforms Jews were forced to wear.  I have read so many books about the Holocaust but they never gave me the same sorrowful feelings I had today.  By contrast who can resist stopping to see Dorothy's shoes or Lincoln's hat?  Who would not be astounded, as we
were, by the sheer size of the flag that inspired the Star Spangled Banner.  Realia is so very important in teaching - we must strive to make the learning experiential and real.  I am so excited with the prospect of more work with the Smithsonian to make this happen for children.Tonight was the gala black tie ball to celebrate all of the teachers of the year and to 
formally announce my friend, Sarah Brown Wessling, as the new 2010
National Teacher of the Year.  I am so proud to call her my colleague.  It was a wonderful time to celebrate with family and friends and hear from Arne Duncan, Randi Weingarten and our sponsors Target and ING.

No comments:

Post a Comment